History of St.
April, l954 Cardinal Mooney purchased nine acres of wooded land
from Ford Motor Company to be the future St. Martha church and
school. Fr. Peter Borkowicz was appointed founding pastor with
over 700 families from the neighboring parishes of St. Sebastian,
St. Mary Magdalene, Sacred Heart and St. Joseph.
Summer masses that first year
were celebrated in Snow school then, in the fall, in the
auditorium of the Edison Institute at Greenfield Village. With a
loan from the Archdiocese, “sweat equity”, and a successful
capital campaign, the founding families cleared the land and
raised $135,000 to begin construction. December 19, 1954, saw
groundbreaking ceremonies leading to laying of the cornerstone on
March 13, 1955.
July, 1955 saw 175 parishioners
put the final touches on the new church in preparation for the
celebration of the first Mass and first communion for sixty young
parishioners. In September of the same year school doors opened to
160 pupils and three Holy Family of Nazareth sisters and one lay
Over the years St. Martha has
seen the growth of its parish organizations and activities, many
of which continue to this day. While the school closed in 1974,
the religious education of parish families continues and welcomes
new families each year. Along with the contribution of hundreds of
parish families over the years, St. Martha has been blessed with
the priestly service of many dedicated pastors. We are grateful
for their pastoral dedication to St. Martha and its contribution
to the Dearborn Community
Pastors of St. St.
June, 1954-June, 1966 Fr. Peter
June, 1966-June, 1971 Fr.
June, 1971-Sept. 1974 Fr.
Sept. 1974-March, 1981 Fr.
March, 1981-July, 1985 Fr.
Robert V. Monticello
July, 1985-June, 1991 Msgr.
Edward C. Burkhardt
July, 1991-June, 2000 Fr. John.
July, 2000-June, 2006 Fr.
July, 2006-June 2013 Fr. Terrence Kerner